2 YEARS & 3 MONTHS - 18 Oct. 2012

We've had our first experience with the Danish "out-of-hours-healtcare-system" today. Liva and Laia have, as mentioned before, had a cold pretty much since we moved here (at least that's how it feels!). The cough medicine from the doctor last week helped loads and they're much better, but still with runny noses. Last night Liva didn't sleep very much, after having put her in her own bed 3 times I eventually gave in and let her sleep in our bed. She was quiet this morning, but seemed OK. When they came home from daycare she was crying and complaining about an ear-ache. She wouldn't eat her food, she only ate half the yoghurt Albert offered her, she was hot and crying. Eventually I checked on the net what to do with a sick child in Denmark - we didn't know, we don't know how these things work in Denmark even though it's my country.
I found out I had to call a doctor, who would then tell us whether we should relax and wait until tomorrow when our own doctor is available, or whether we should take action straight away. We were told that if she had a fever and an ear-ache we should go see a doctor. So, at the hospital they actually have an out-of-hours doctor consultation. I was super impressed! I don't know how it works in other countries, but in Barcelona we had to go the the hospital emergency room if there was anything wrong with the girls out-of-hours. We were seen to in order of urgency, meaning we have spent hours and hours at the emergency waiting room. Here, we took a number and 20 minutes later we were called in by the doctor. Liva spent those 20 minutes playing at the indoor playground right next to the waiting area. The doctor checked her, said she was fine, we should just give her some painkillers if she complained about pain, and less than 10 minutes later we were done. Amazing! This country doesn't stop impressing me.
I was thinking about it the other day, and I am actually surprised about how little I miss Barcelona... I loved living there, and I wasn't too crazy about the idea of moving back to Denmark. I liked the idea of being close to family and friends (though I hardly see my friends here now either), but I wasn't too thrilled about the whole Denmark idea in general. Had it not been for my working situation, I don't think I would have moved back here. But I am so happy here, we have met new people and made new friends, Liva and Laia have developed so much after starting daycare, and as mentioned before, we love where we live! I also think that I'll be writing very soon about good news regarding Albert's work. Now we just need a normal job for me, and life in Denmark will be everything and so much more than I had ever dared hope for!

No comments:

Post a Comment