2 YEARS & 7 MONTHS - 17 Feb. 2013

It's once again been too long since I've written, but time just flies and in the evenings we collapse on the couch. I have been doing extra hours since I owed my new work quite a few hours from Christmas, New Year's and our trip to Barcelona, there was plenty of work so I've worked loads more these past 2 weeks. I've also finished off some students from the school I teach for, and I've had a couple job interviews reg. another job here in Helsingør, which I start next week. I'll be helping 15-17 year-olds who are struggling with school one way or another, either because of language issues, problems at home, mental illness or something completely different. After work I organize the house, start preparing dinner, then pick up the girls. We sit for a while on the couch while they have a small snack, I finish preparing dinner and then we eat. After dinner the girls have to get ready for bed, some evenings Albert's home to help with the kitchen, the girls and tidying up after the day, other nights I have to do it on my own. Very often there's laundry to take care of as well, by the time I'm all done it's 19:30/20:00. Once a week I teach late and get home around 20:15. Whatever day it is, around 20:00 I collapse on the  couch. Getting up 2-3 hours later to go to bed is hard enough, I can't focus on writing or anything else.

Well, Liva and Laia are doing great! A lot has happened with their development in the past month. They now sing songs they learn at daycare and I can understand what they sing. They talk more and more and are every day easier to understand. They play much more with each other, especially with their baby dolls. They can spend hours playing with their dolls, it's amazing. I can put away clothes, organize stuff, tidy up, make beds and whatever else while they play with their dolls.
They also love play dough and (though I'm not happy to admit this), they can sit quietly and relax in front of the TV for a while.

We've just had about 1 week where they have been in an excellent mood, they have been happy and singing, it's been lovely. We're doing great with the diapers, they only wear diapers when they sleep, and this weekend they've napped without diapers. Hopefully soon we'll be all done with diapers.

There are still 2 major issues that we struggle with, pacifiers and behavior... They are completely hooked on their pacifiers, especially Liva. We try to only give it to them when they have to sleep or are sad. But there are so many struggles during the day with other things that we just don't have the energy to take the struggle over the pacifier as well. But the main problem is their behavior, again it's especially Liva. Whenever we tell her to do anything at all she answers with a totally indifferent "no". She does whatever she wants and has no consideration for other people, rules or anything else. We talk to her, give her time-outs, yell at her, but nothing seems to help. Laia is also difficult at times, but nothing to the extend of Liva.
At daycare they all say Liva and Laia are little angles and cause no problems. On the contrary, actually. They help the adults with tidying up, they take care of the smaller kids and Liva especially loves the little babies. Camila, our babysitter, says they are OK with her, not little angels but nothing she can't handle. My parents say the same, so I guess it's just when they're with us, she really has to try her limits. Hopefully it's just a phase she is going through, terrible 2s, or whatever. There are moments where Liva can be sweet and listens to us, but that is more the exception to the rule.
As always, though, I can only say that I love them with all my heart every day, and we do have a lot of fun with them. I also know that a child's behavior has a lot to do with the parents and the upbringing, I'm not blaming Liva and Laia's behavior on them! I'm just saying we're having a really hard time at the moment, and though I know it is mainly down to Albert and me, it's still hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment